Kin Selection

 

Kin Selection is defined as when an organism favors the reproductive success of their own relatives even if it doesn't come at a benefit to that organism. 

Altruism is defined as actions of an organism that benefits the fitness of another but is costly to the fitness of oneself. 

I think that Kin selection and altruism can go hand in hand. I would say that kin selection is altruistic because there is an act to benefit another and not benefit oneself. Hamiltons rule is when altruism is favored by natural selection.  

Hamiltons Rule shows: r B > c

where r is the relatedness, B is the benefit of the recipient, and c is the cost to the altruist 

Comments

  1. hey Aubree, I like this image it really breaks down altruism and how it is involved in kin selection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Aubree,

    I like that you kept your post very simplistic and straightforward. It really helped the concept to be explained easily. I also enjoyed the extra information about Hamilton's rule you included, it was a nice touch. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aubree! Your definitions are great! It is interesting to think about what is considered beneficial to oneself and what is detrimental. Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment