The Tree of Life
A phylogenetic tree is a diagram that represents how life on Earth is all connected to one another. It is called a tree because the diagram looks like a tree. It looks as if it has a trunk and branches. The trunk of the diagram represents the first common ancestor from the group of organisms that are being looked at.
There are a few different types of phylogenetic trees and today we are going to look at 2 different types, monophyletic and paraphyletic.
There is an example of a phylogenetic tree below. You can see at the left side of the picture that there is a trunk and the diagram extends into branches. This diagram is showing how water living creatures are related to one another.
This tree is a monophyletic tree. All of the groups connect at a point somewhere on the diagram. This shows that they all have a single common ancestor.


I thought the way you came up with your trees was very creative! Great job. And your explanations were very well thought out. Great job simplifying it and giving valid examples.
ReplyDeleteHi there,
ReplyDeleteYou did a wonderful job and I think everything is thoroughly explain. I like your diagrams and feel they are well thought out and very clear. Great job.
Hey Aubree! I agree with Kaelyn that you did a very good job at simplifying this concept down. I enjoyed that your example animals weren't necessarily "made up", I think something different with regular animals is much easier to understand.
ReplyDelete