Blog Response to Aug. 17th

 I thought the lecture about learning was very informative. I have heard my whole life that I was "cut out" for this or not "cut out" for that. I think that anyone can learn anything but it takes a lot of hard work and motivation. The Ted-Talk that we watched was interesting as well. I have always said that I am a slow learner and a slow test taker, so I liked hearing a positive view about learning slowly. I am also someone who has always said that I am not a creative person. I have been trying to increase my creativity and I started to paint a little bit this summer during my free time. I really enjoyed this because I felt that I was working an area of my brain that I don't usually work. Painting made me feel good and I noticed that once I got an idea to paint something more ideas started to pop into my head. I am hopeful that painting is going to be something I can incorporate into my downtime this semester. 


The "What is Science?" lecture made me think a lot about what is going on in the world right now. Covid has seemed to make the general public not want to trust the scientists because of what was originally said during the first couple months of the pandemic. The lecture pointed out that science is open to change and to new data and things that were once thought of as one thing can be thought of as completely different. I had forgotten how difficult the process to get published was and how big of a deal getting published really is. I think it would be amazing to one day be published.

Scientific Method – Discovery of Sound in the Sea

Comments

  1. Hello Aubree,

    I would have to agree with you that over quarantine painting was definitely the move. I myself went on a period of binge painting all sorts of things and designs on just about all anything I could find. Furthermore, I liked your take on the lecture as you related it to our current period of chaos. I agree with you that science is completely dynamic and constantly revealing new things. It sucks that a lot of the times whenever something does change people are quick to discredit the science or think its all a hoax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aubree,

    Yes! I love painting! I definitely don't do it enough and want to get more into it. What medium did you use? I've seen a lot of watercolor paintings look beautiful, but it seems hard to properly paint with such a fluid medium.
    I think I can relate to where you're coming from with feeling like a slow learner, I've felt that way too, and I agree, hearing the positive side to that was great.
    Also, publishing does seem really hard, it would be so cool to publish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aubree!

    I find that I am also a slow test taker because I have a bad habit of constantly rechecking my answers. Sometimes it works out great for me and sometimes I change answers I shouldn't. Hard work and motivation gosuch a long way when taking some difficult classes and basically in anything you want to succeed in. Doesn't mean any one person is more cut out than we are but we just have to earn it a little more. I think if we get to the career we want in the future, the story of how we got there won't be as important. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aubree,
    I can totally relate to you about being told you were not “cut out” for things but it is so important to remember that you and only you get to decide what you are cut out for and what you are capable of. I am glad that the Ted Talk was able to hit home with you as it was for me as well because it so important that different viewpoints of how to learn are given a platform so people can see that just because you don’t learn one way does not mean you do not learn as good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment